Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Facility Manager to provide support to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) directorate managed Building (B) 131 High Bay and B166 Engineering facilities. You will manage the workshop, machine shop, and storage capabilities for fabricating parts, assembling hardware, inspections and calibrations, and other engineering functions in support of LLNL programmatic missions. This position is in the Nuclear and Explosive Facility Operations Program.
- Manage a technical facility safely and cost effectively while supporting WCI, Physical and Life Sciences, Engineering and other directorate programmatic objectives.
- Maintain awareness of current and future critical facility infrastructure needs to anticipate facility infrastructure risks. Create and implement plans to mitigate the risks and to ensure operations are performed in compliance with facility safety documents and plans.
- Establish and maintain control of maintenance and outage schedules for facilities while balancing engineering priorities, personnel resources, and facility availability in support of programmatic work.
- Oversee the highly advanced work control process and de-conflict work, serving as the single authority for the release of work on the Facility Activity Schedule.
- Notify and report to the WCI Nuclear and Hazardous Operations Manager and other laboratory managers of incidents and occurrences that have Environmental, Safety, and Health (ES&H) significance, and investigate such incidents and occurrences, and assign corrective actions.
- Collaborate with high-level technical, administrative, and managerial personnel and interact with other institutional organizations (e.g., ES&H, service providers, deployed maintenance team).
- Develop, coordinate, and integrate long-range strategic planning of integrated operational activities, collaborating with Program Leaders and WCI Operations management.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the facility to senior LLNL management, DOE/NNSA and other external oversight organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the appropriate technology or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience managing a highly advanced technical facility engineering operations and/or maintenance, and the management of a facility authorization basis.
- Extensive experience investigating hazardous incidents and occurrences and developing and implementing corrective actions.
- Advanced knowledge of ES&H policies and procedures used throughout industry and/or DOE (e.g., OSHA, DOE Orders, Worker Safety and Health).
- Advanced technical, organizational, and interpersonal skills necessary to manage a multi-disciplinary team.
- Advanced analytical and decision-making skills necessary to independently anticipate, advise, correct or report any hazard, potential hazard or other areas of concern.
- Highly advanced verbal and written communication skills to effectively prepare, present, and explain technical briefings and advise management on technical issues.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.