Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Database Application Team Lead for the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the largest and most energetic laser in the world. As the team lead, you will provide stewardship and management of critical data required to support the Integrated Computer Control System (ICCS), a distributed data-driven system that requires detailed, customized support for multiple environments. This position is in the NIF Computing Applications (NIFC) Division within the Computation Directorate.
- Lead the implementation of Oracle’s Edition Based Redefinition (EBR) to enable online ICCS software releases.
- Develop fundamental PL/SQL scripts to verify and facilitate validation of online ICCS software upgrades in the EBR environment.
- Collaborate with developers and integration managers to define complex requirements and set priorities for upcoming releases.
- Validate and verify software release package prior to deployment into production databaseenvironment.
- Gather requirements and develop database tools and utilities to support scaling and analysis of data, including verification and validation.
- Design and implement comprehensive web-based applications to manage the operations of the NIF laser facility and the analysis of shot data, both independently and via team collaboration using current software engineering best practices and standards.
- Oversee the deployment of database releases and provide troubleshooting support throughout the release process and online testing. This may include occasionally working off-normal hours as needed to support programmatic goals and schedules.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience with Oracle enterprise database technology such as data management, data integration, SQL and PL/SQL.
- Significant experience with standard data analysis, data management approaches, and relational databases.
- Experience in the design and development of production quality software solutions, such as experience with Java programming or C++.
- Demonstrated attention to detail in identification of issues/errors.
- Flexibility in schedule to provide support for software releases to multiple environments.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate as part of a cohesive development team working with multiple customers and organizations.
- Experience with Oracle enterprise database technologies such as Edition Based Redefinition and RDBMS 11g (or more current versions).
- Experience with database access tools such as TOAD, Accurev, or Jira.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl or shell scripting.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.