Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Associate. You will apply innovative technical expertise for various research gas guns utilized in shock physics based research and development activities. You will collaborate with engineers, technicians, and systems operators to provide operations and maintenance support for high velocity two-stage gas guns and advanced technical logistics support for experiments. This position is based in Livermore, CA and will also support the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS) in Las Vegas, NV. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
This position will be filled at either the 337.1 or 339.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Collaborate with Principal Investigators to define experimental gas gun operational needs and technical requirements.
- Provide technical expertise to plan and schedule activities to implement and execute experiments on various gun platforms.
- Define, organize, and manage processes for gun operations and maintenance.
- Manage the technical activities of an operational team(s) across multiple organizations.
- Review and/or perform gun loading calculations and system configuration.
- Participate in design reviews, engineering testing operations, and result analysis.
- Compose reports, create presentations, and collaborate on analysis reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 339.2 Level
- Define project approaches, and create and implement original solutions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment.
- Lead engineering technical staff and provide highly advanced mechanical/electronic support and hands-on operations through the design and assembly of highly complex components and systems based upon specifications from engineers, physicists, or facility personnel.
- Develop project planning and budgeting, maintain schedules, and propose procurement activities.
- Bachelor’s (BS) degree in Mechanical or Electronic Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge in engineering design, fabrication, project planning, budgeting, resource planning, assembly techniques and materials, including theory, pressure, and vacuum systems.
- Experience conducting and/or participating in design reviews as well as engineering testing operations, analyzing results, writing reports, and creating presentations.
- Experience developing conceptual designs of mechanical/electronic systems, testing prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members; and the ability to translate multiple safety/security organizational rules and policy into work processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills and experience working independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team in a schedule-driven environment.
- Ability to qualify as a High-Explosive (HE) Handler and/or qualify to work with radioactive materials or systems.
- Ability to travel more than or equal to 50% of the work assignment.
In Addition at the 339.2 Level
- Experience with highly advanced fabrication and assembly techniques directly applicable to material, components, systems, and/or equipment.
- Experience with project planning, budgeting, and/or resource planning and experience leading a technical team.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills in multiple technical areas.
- Demonstrated experience working on and with research guns (pneumatic, powder, two- stage gas/powder).
- Experience handling explosives, gun propellant, and reloading equipment.
- Experience optimizing large gun operational parameters to acquire scientific data.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.