Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Industrial Hygienist (IH). You will independently provide advanced industrial hygiene support to the industrial hygiene programs within the Worker Safety & Health Functional Area in the Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) Directorate.
- Serve as the Industrial Hygiene Subject Matter Expert (SME) of Silica, Ventilation, HEPA Filters, and other industrial hygiene programs as appointedby the Industrial Hygiene Group Leader.
- Develop, revise, and review industrial hygiene policy documents for institutional implementing documents and the Industrial Hygiene Field Operations Manual.
- Evaluate and interpret the impact of industrial hygiene related rules and regulations promulgated by DOE and other agencies.
- Perform internal audits and assessments of industrial hygiene program elements. Evaluate results of internal/external compliance audits and inspections, prepare responses to outside audits, and develop corrective actions.
- Develop and present courses in industrial hygiene related subject matter areas as well as deliver presentations on IH related topics at LLNL senior management meetings.
- Provide advanced technical support and mentoring to the ES&H team of industrial hygiene professionals and health and safety technologist on sampling methods, interpretation of monitoring results, and procedures. Write, review, and critique technical reports.
- Independently provide technical assistance at both on-site and off-site scenes of emergencies and function as a technical specialist.
- Review and interpret health and safety standards and provide summary information to management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial hygiene or related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge and relevant experience.
- Advanced experience in comprehensive industrial hygiene with thorough knowledge of DOE Orders, OSHA regulations and ANSI Standards.
- Advanced experience in the development and delivery of industrial hygiene-related training courses and reviewing and assessing the impact of new health and safety standards.
- Experience providing emergency response and performing investigations of incidents or accidents involving industrial hygiene hazards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for complex problems.
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail necessary to handle multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow-through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.