Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Group Leader for the High Energy Density (HED) Physics and Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) Target Fabrication Group. You will be responsible for supervising a multidisciplinary group of engineers and technicians in a group producing precision target assemblies for experiments at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and other experimental facilities across the country. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SEL.4 or SEL.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide technical mentorship, leadership, security, and administrative supervision to group members in the execution of their work scope.
-Set broad research/project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others within the group.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and primary technical contact for group activities and contribute to engineering design reviews by acting as a chairperson, panel member, or reviewer while upholding the Engineering principles for such reviews.
- Maintain a constructive and collaborative working relationship with the HED/ICF Program Engineering Group Leader and the customers that the group members support.
- Support long-term programmatic efforts by fostering staff development and participate in hiring activities for the group and the division.
- Prepare annual performance appraisals for group personnel and contribute to the division ranking and salary processes.
- Develop new ideas, modify approaches and/or redefine requirements, as well as perform special assignments in support of WCI Programs as requested by division management.
- Provide guidance and engineering support to HED and ICF Target Fabrication personnel as appropriate to assist them in providing programmatic support.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Utilize expert-level communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively advise and influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers.
- Mentor staff across the organization, including other mentors.
- Serve as organization spokesperson to Laboratory management and/or external advisor to sponsors and external collaborators.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical area, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Subject matter expert level knowledge of, and experience with, engineering hardware design, fabrication, testing, and fielding.
- Subject matter expert level knowledge of, and significant experience with, precision engineering, manufacturing, and metrology related to micro and meso scale devices.
- Subject matter expertise in mechanical engineering project leadership, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, risk analysis, and reporting.
- Significant experience providing effective leadership and direction to technical staff members in a team environment.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present and explain concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner both verbally and in writing for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members and to advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain currency as a Derivative Classifier with knowledge of High Energy Density Physics and Inertial Confinement Fusion.
- Ability to obtain and maintain currency in the Laboratory Human Reliability Program (HRP).
In Addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Extensive experience with engineering hardware design, fabrication, and testing processes, as well as demonstrated ability to lead and develop positions on cutting-edge technologies.
- Extensive experience and familiarity with the national target fabrication community.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Active DOE Q clearance required at time of hire. (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: Relisted position. Originally listed on February 16, 2017. Previous candidates need not reapply. Text revised effective February 27, 2017. This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.