Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Regulatory Compliance Assurance (RCA) Engineer in the Classified Information Security area. You will be the institutional point of contact for matters related to self-regulation of the Department of Energy (DOE)-issued security requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations Title 10 Part 824. This position is in the Management Assurance System (MAS) Office.
- Influence the Laboratory’s participation with classified information security requirements to ensure continuous improvement; communicate LLNL’s compliance assurance status and coordinate enforcement investigations.
- Design institutional-level assurance processes that are responsive to DOE safety and security regulatory guides, orders and standards and to internal and external stakeholders.
- Deliver interpretations of the Laboratory’s obligations regarding compliance and performance issues with DOE safety and security requirements, particularly classified information requirements promulgated in 10 CFR 824.
- Conduct innovative studies through the application of advanced analysis methods to characterize highly complex issues with limited or incomplete information; conduct in-depth causal analysis of conditions and events; evaluate compliance with regulatory requirements; analyze LLNL’s performance for programmatic, significant or repetitive noncompliance and develop new approaches for resolution; and monitor and verify completion of commitments to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Enforcement.
- Analyze incidents and issues and present results for senior management action; frequently mentor directorate managers on analyzing for causes; design and direct others in the use of the tools; and identify opportunities for improving processes, characterizing and measuring data, and delivering technical interpretation of the results.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria in support of classified information security and determine and pursue courses of action essential for obtaining desired outcomes.
- Integrate program goals with technical requirements, costs, and policy considerations. - Develop new ideas, modify approaches, establish LLNL procedures, develop training material and deliver training.
- BS in engineering or scientific discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience performing highly complex data analysis and using trending techniques such as control charts and statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated expert level knowledge of assurance principles and their application to safety, security, health, emergency management and nuclear safety.
- Demonstrated subject matter expert knowledge of DOE regulatory guides, orders and standards associated with the industry and an understanding of their potential impact when applied to the Laboratory.
- Significant experience applying advanced engineering systems in innovative ways to processes and practices.
- Demonstrated advanced technical and organizational problem-solving and decision-making techniques, with analytical skills necessary to independently interpret, advise, effect change and implement solutions to highly complex and ambiguous problems with broad implications.
- Expert communication, facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present and explain technical information and provide advice to senior management and DOE
- Demonstrated effective technical, organizational and leadership skills
- Certifications in cyber security and experience with Human Performance Improvement
- Experience working with the DOE and understanding of the DOE contractual relationship.
- Experience working in regulatory environments, such as with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission or with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.