Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in the field of experimental laboratory astrophysics and X-ray astrophysics, and high resolution spectroscopy, to conduct experiments in support of the upcoming x-ray astrophysics missions, as well as analyzing and interpreting data measured with the Hitomi X-ray Observatory and other orbiting X-ray observatories. You will conduct laboratory astrophysics experiments using the electron beam ion trap, a variety of high resolution x-ray spectrometers including the NASA/GSFC microcalorimeter spectrometer, and use theoretical atomic physics packages, such as the flexible atomic code, to model both laboratory and celestial spectra. This position is in the Astrophysics and Advanced Diagnostics Group of the Physics Division.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems in atomic physics and high energy x-ray astrophysics especially those related to the interpretation of measured high resolution x-ray spectra from laboratory plasmas and astrophysical sources.
- Operate the LLNL electron beam ion traps.
- Operate and help maintain the EBIT calorimeter spectrometer cryogenically cooled quantum calorimeter.
- Develop and conduct experiments using high resolution x-ray crystal, grating, and microcalorimeter spectrometers to investigate the physics of highly charged ions.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in atomic physics and/or astro-physics, or related field.
- Experience operating and maintaining cryogenic detector systems.
- Experience operating the Electron Beam Ion Traps.
- Ability to use standard tools to reduce and analyze data from X-ray observatories, such as the Chandra X-ray Observatory, or the XMM-Newton X-ray Observatory.
- Experience working independently on defined research projects.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as functioning as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience running experiments at third and fourth generation light sources, such as the Linac Coherent Light Source X-ray Free Electron Laser, or the PETRA-III light source, as well as other large-scale experiment facilities.
- Experience operating solid-state x-ray detectors, position sensitive gas proportional counters, and X-ray CCDs.
- Ability to write novel data analysis codes to analyze measured x-ray spectra.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.